Continental Materials Corporation was organized on July 30, 1954 in the State of Delaware under the name of Continental Uranium, Inc. It began business with two uranium mines in the State of Utah, the Continental No. 1 Mine which was already producing uranium, and the Rattlesnake Mine, which was being developed. Mining was Continental’s only business until late in 1956, when it acquired Transit Mix Concrete Co., a producer of ready-mix concrete and sand in Colorado Springs, Colorado. In May, 1957, Continental’s name was changed to “Continental Materials Corporation” to reflect more accurately the scope of the Company’s broadened activities.
Continental Materials Corporation was founded by Mr. Gerald Gidwitz and his brothers, Mr. Joseph L. Gidwitz and Mr. Willard Gidwitz. The Gidwitz family has controlled the Company from its inception to the present time. Mr. Gerald Gidwitz was the original Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of the Company and his son, James Gidwitz is it’s present Chairman of the board and chief executive officer.
As the business began a policy of growth through the acquisition of existing businesses, the Company further expanded in 1958 by acquiring Williams Furnace Co. in the State of California, manufacturers of gas heating equipment.
In 1954, the Company’s stock was listed on the American Stock Exchange and it has remained listed on that exchange to the present time. In April, 1967 there were over 6,600,000 shares of the Company outstanding (all voting stock) owned by over 10,000 different shareholders. The Company’s stock was included in the list of ten most active stocks on the American Stock Exchange on 33 trading days during the period.
In 2002, to grow this niche business, Continental Materials Corporation acquired McKinney Door and Hardware.